Thursday, July 26, 2012

Mary Phelps Jacob, Inventor of the Modern Brassiere



So she is sometimes called.  You can read her story here.  A link to her invention is here.  A Wikipedia article says she was persuaded to sell her fledgling company to Warner Brothers Corset Company by her second husband and join him in debauchery in Europe. (He came to a bad end.)

Below are instructions for you to make your own brassiere, somewhat like the one she made and like the one in the early movie from a few posts ago.  These pages are from the Underwear and Lingerie volume of Woman's Institute of Domestic Arts & Sciences series, Part 1, 1925, updated 1930.



If anybody makes one, let me see it!

2 comments:

  1. I tried this method and I love that it actually flattens my chest for a nice 1920's silhouette. I did not put in the darts though as I thought that would limit the flattening effect. I probably should have added them, since the bra has a tendency to creep up a bit when moving to much. Either that or I should put the elastic band all the way around instead of only in the back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I would put in the darts. You don't want the girls to get loose! Making it of firmer material, like coutil, would probably flatten better.

      Delete

Care to comment?